1. Introduction and General Terms
- what information ELMT may collect about you;
- how ELMT will use information we collect about you;
- when ELMT may use your details to contact you;
- whether ELMT will disclose your details to anyone else;
ELMT is committed to safeguarding your personal information. Whenever you provide such information, we are legally obliged to use your information in line with all laws concerning the protection of personal information, including the Data Protection Act 1998.
2. Who we are
The East London Mosque Trust Ltd is a charity (1122613) and a company limited by guarantee (468317) registered in England & Wales. Registered Office: 82-92 Whitechapel Road, London E1 1JQ
3. What information will ELMT collect about me?
When you contact ELMT to make a donation or sign up to any of ELMT's activities or online content, such as newsletters, competitions, or you telephone, email, write to or text ELMT, or engage with ELMT via social media channels, we may receive and retain personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone or mobile number, bank account details to process donations and whether or not you are a tax payer so that we can claim gift aid.
By submitting your details, you enable ELMT (and where applicable any of our projects) to raise funds and to provide you with the goods, services, information, activities or online content you select.
We do not usually collect "sensitive personal data" about our supporters, e.g. health status, unless there is a clear reason for doing so - such as participation in a ‘fundraising run’ or similar fundraising event or where we need this to ensure that we provide appropriate facilities or support to enable you to participate in an event. Clear notices will be provided on applications for such events so that it is clear what information we need and why we need it.
If you are simply browsing our website as an anonymous visitor, ELMT may still collect certain information from you, such as your IP addresses (an IP address is a number that can uniquely identify a specific computer or other network device on the internet).
4. How will ELMT use the information you collect about me?
ELMT will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- in relation to any correspondence you have entered into with us whether by letter, email, text, social media, message board or any other means;
- for "service administration purposes", which means that ELMT may contact you for reasons related to donations you have made or the activity or online content you have signed up for;
- for internal record keeping;
- to fulfil sales/advertising contracts you have entered into with ELMT;
- to contact you about any content you provide;
- to invite you to participate in surveys or research about ELMT or our projects/services (participation is always voluntary);
- for marketing purposes where you have specifically agreed to this (see below);
- to provide you with information about our activities or online content you have agreed to receive;
- to personalise the way ELMT content is presented to you;
- to use IP addresses to identify the location of users, to block disruptive use, to establish the number of visits from different countries;
- to analyse and improve the activities and content offered by the ELMT website to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience. We may also use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes.
5. Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
ELMT will only contact you for marketing purposes by email or other electronic means if you have agreed to be contacted for these purposes or where you have made a donation by text and have not opted out from receiving further information. Where you have provided your postal address we may send you direct mail about our work unless you have told us that you do not wish to receive such information.
If you wish to contact us either to obtain information about our work or to stop us sending you such information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, call 020 7650 3000 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) or write to Fundraising Officer, London Muslim Centre, 46 Whitechapel Road, London 1 1JX with the details. You may also opt out of marketing emails at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in any marketing email from ELMT.
6. Will ELMT share my personal information with anyone else?
We will only use your information within ELMT for the purposes for which it was obtained, unless you have explicitly agreed that we may share your information with another organisation.
We will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies for tax purposes or law enforcement agencies for the prevention and detection of crime, subject to such bodies providing us with a relevant request in writing).
7. Offensive or inappropriate content placed on the ELMT website
If you post or send offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content to or anywhere on the ELMT website, or social networks, or otherwise engage in any disruptive behaviour on any ELMT networks, we may use your personal information to stop such behaviour.
Where ELMT reasonably believes that you are or may be in breach of any of the laws of England and Wales (or the law of Scotland if you live there) (e.g. because content you have posted may be defamatory), we may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, internet provider or law enforcement agencies about the content and your behaviour.
8. How long will ELMT keep my personal information?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, e.g. we will keep a record of donations for at least seven years. If you request us not to send you marketing information we will keep a record of your contact details and appropriate information to enable us to comply with your request not to be contacted by us.
Where you contribute material to us, e.g. user generated content or in response to a particular campaign we will generally only keep your content for as long as is reasonably required for the purpose(s) for which it was submitted unless otherwise stated at the point of generation.
9. What is ELMT's policy on allowing me to update, correct, or delete my personal information?
The accuracy of your information is important to us. We are working on ways to make it easier for you to review and correct the information that ELMT maintains about you. In the meantime, if you change email address or any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date, you can let us know:
- through our website or
- email us at email@example.com, or write to Fundraising Officer, London Muslim Centre, 46 Whitechapel Road, London 1 1JX with the details.
Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to request a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to have any inaccuracies corrected. (We charge £10 for information requests and require you to prove your identity with two pieces of approved identification).
10. Cookies Policy - Information ELMT collects from your computer or mobile device
a. What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text files on your device. They are made by your web-browser when you visit a website. Every time you go back to that website, your browser will send the cookie file back to the website's server. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognise a user's device. You can find more information about cookies at: www.allaboutcookies.org and www.youronlinechoices.eu. For a video about cookies visit http://www.google.co.uk/goodtoknow/data-on-the-web/cookies
Cookies do lots of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improving the user experience.
They can also help to ensure that adverts you see online are more relevant to you and your interests.
Information supplied in cookies also allows us to measure the effectiveness of online marketing campaigns for ELMT. This enables us to ensure any money we spend on digital marketing gives us a good return on investment.
c. Further information on ELMT cookies and how to control your cookie preferences